About Dr. Akers
Richard E. Akers, M.D. provides the most up-to-date techniques, knowledge and equipment. As surgery and technology continues to change and improve, Dr. Akers is committed to incorporate these exciting advances into his practice. The staff at Atlantic Ophthalmology is as dedicated to the practice as they are to the patients. Staff tenure ranges from 4 to 15 years with the practice.
Dr. Akers is proud to run his ophthalmology practice in the town where he grew up, Beaufort, SC and where his family resides. Dr. Akers enjoys the bucolic, historical and scenic life Beaufort provides. He is on staff at Beaufort Memorial Hospital and performs surgery at The Surgery Center of Beaufort.
Dr. Akers opened Atlantic Ophthalmology in 1994 after completing his Ophthalmology Residency at the Medical College of Georgia. His educational and training background includes:
- College of Charleston, Bachelors of Science, Biology, Magna Cum Laude, 1985
- Medical University of South Carolina, M.D., 1990
- Greenville Memorial Hospital, Medical Internship, 1990-1991
- Medical College of Georgia, Ophthalmology Residence, 1991-1994
Dr. Akers is proud to be an active member of his community. His background includes:
- Commodore, Beaufort Yacht & Sailing Club (2009-2010)
- Vice-Commodore, Beaufort Yacht & Sailing Club (2008-2009)
- Chairman of the Board & co-founder of Beaufort Junior Sailing
- Co-chairman of Beaufort Memorial Hospital Valentine Ball 2000
He also has held positions of elder, deacon, and Sunday school teacher at First Presbyterian Church in Beaufort, and is a former member of Port Royal Rotary Club, Rotarian of the Year.
- Joane Bailey, an ophthalmic assistant, is a certified medical assistant and has been with our practice for 9 years and has worked within the field of ophthalmology for more than 10 years.
- Tammy Harmon, office administrator/insurance manager, has been with our practice for 15 years and worked within the field of ophthalmology for almost 20 years. Tammy is a certified ophthalmic assistant and a member of the American Academy of Certified Procedural Coders.
- Kevin Farling, receptionist, has been with our practice for four years. His professional and courteous voice will greet you at check in, check out, and over the phone.
- Nancy Santua, licensed dispensing optician, has more than 37 years experience as an optician. Her friendly manner and strict attention to detail and high quality standards ensures you will leave with the right pair of glasses or contact lenses.